Qualified Teacher – Palm Bay Nursery
Job Purpose and Accountability
The Qualified Teacher reports in the first instance to Anna Johnson, Operations Manager, Kelly Richardson, Area Manager.
The Qualified teacher is responsible for developing and implementing work schemes and lesson plans in line with the requirements of the Early Years Foundations Stage including Ofsted Regulation. All relevant Health and Safety legislation, and all Townsend Montessori Nurseries Ltd policies and procedures. It is the responsibility of the qualified teacher to ensure that they keep up to date on all relevant legislation.
Early Years teachers develop the social and communication skills of children and provide a safe and secure environment in which the child can learn.
Early Years teachers record observations and summarise the children’s achievements. They focus on optimum child development and preparation for a successful transition to primary school education
Typical work activities
- Motivating and stimulating the children’s learning abilities, often encouraging learning through experience
- Devising and producing visual aids and teaching resources
- Organising learning materials and resources and making imaginative use of resources
- Assisting with the development of children’s personal/social and language abilities
- Encouraging children’s mathematical and creative development through stories, songs, games, drawing and imaginative play
- Developing children’s curiosity and knowledge
- Keeping up to date with changes in the curriculum and developments in best practice
- Attending in-house training.
Duties and responsibilities
- Encourage and model appropriate behaviour and expectations
- Ensure all children’s records are accurate and up to date. Work with the room leader and Keypersons to provide stimulating activities based on their interests.
- To help the children prepare for their next stage of learning.
- Lead, promote and implement policies relating to equality and diversity.
- Work with The Manager, Assistant / Deputy Manager to ensure that both the nursery environment and staff practice meets high standards
- Understand child protection issues
- Qualified teacher status (QTS)
- You will also be expected to complete the following training which be supplied by Townsend Montessori Nurseries Ltd and kept up to date. This will be completed during your probation period.
- Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) – online
- Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) – online
- Prevent and Radicalisation – online
- Safer Food Handler – Food Hygiene – online
- Allergen Training – online
- Online Child Protection training, then a 3 hour Safeguarding training session
- 12 hour paediatric first aid qualification
(This will be completed within your probation period)
- Child development – Understand issues regarding child development in order to support all children including children with disabilities
- Observation and planning – Recognise the importance of observation for individual children’s needs and interests. Be able to organise staff to enable effective observations and plans to happen.
- Environments – Be able to demonstrate a good understanding of how to plan enabling environments for children
- Key Person – To understand the importance of the key person
- Curriculum frameworks – Good knowledge of the EYFS
- Safeguarding/Child Protection procedures – A thorough understanding of child protection and how to apply safeguarding /child protection procedures
- Partnership working – Must be able to work in partnership with parents and other professionals
- Equality and Diversity – Understands the importance of ensuring equality and diversity in a nursery setting
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to understand the child’s view
- Able to have empathy and understand what it is like for a child in a nursery
- Ability to act assertively and behave fairly and ethically
- Show resilience and determination to succeed in the face of pressure and difficulties, ability to identify concerns and resolve dilemmas in a fair and open manner.
- Able to communicate company policies and share information and ideas with a variety of audiences. Communicate effectively with both adults and children.
- ICT Systems
- Competent user of ICT systems and a willingness to learn
- Ability to focus on results and outcomes
- Demonstrate a proactive approach and take responsibility for getting things done
- Managing Self
- Able to self-manage, be flexible, adaptable and embrace new ways of doing things.