Nursery Nurse – Palm Bay Nursery
Job Purpose and Accountability
The Nursery Nurse reports to the Room Leader in the first instance
The Nursery nurse is a key member of the early year’s team responsible for delivering high quality care and learning opportunities based on the needs and interests of the children.
Quality of Teaching
Teaching should not be taken to imply a ‘top down’ or formal way of working. It is a broad term that covers the many different ways in which adults help young children learn. It includes their interactions with children during planned and child-initiated play and activities: communicating and modelling language; showing, explaining, demonstrating, exploring ideas; encouraging, questioning, recalling; providing a narrative for what they are doing; facilitating and setting challenges. It takes account of the equipment adults provide and the attention given to the physical environment, as well as the structure and routines of the day that establish expectations. Integral to teaching is how practitioners assess what children know, understand and can do, as well as taking account of their interests and dispositions to learn (characteristics of effective learning), and how practitioners use this information to plan children’s next steps in learning and monitor their progress. Ofsted 2019 page 33
Promote the health, safety and wellbeing of the children including taking care of individual needs i.e. nappy changing, feeding, toileting and education.
Be a key person carrying out all related responsibilities in building relationships with a small group of children and their families – this includes completing Key Person Planning and supporting your Buddy in their absence and children’s learning journey’s.
Contribute to the effectiveness of team work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To plan purposeful, exciting and high quality activities for the children in your care.
- Maintain and review accurate and effective children’s records within their individual learning journey’s and progress tracking.
- Preparation, care, high standard of cleanliness and maintenance of the classrooms and equipment
- Attend staff meetings and training sessions necessary for continual professional development.
- Respond appropriately to issues requiring confidentiality
- Work well as part of a team and ensure the smooth running of the nursery day.
- Work in partnership with parents, attend parent events and meetings as required.
- Promote the nursery to current parents and potential customers
- Keeping and monitoring accident, incident and risk assessment records
- Liaise with parents to ensure smooth transition process
- Work with the team and support the manager to achieve a “good” or better Ofsted outcome
- Maintain staffing ratios in accordance with statutory regulations
- Ensure that children are kept safe and that where necessary follow child protection procedures.
- Undertaking early and late sessions when required
- A full and relevant level 2 or 3 qualification
- You will also be expected to complete the following training which be supplied by Townsend Montessori Nurseries Ltd and kept up to date. This will be completed during your probation period. This will be completed within your probation period.
- Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) – online
- Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) – online
- Prevent and Radicalisation – online
- Safer Food Handler – Food Hygiene – online
- Allergen Training – online
- Online Child Protection training, then a 3 hour Safeguarding training session
- 12 hour paediatric first aid qualification
- Good knowledge of the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Understand issues around child development in order to support all children including children with Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
- An understanding of child protection and how to apply safeguarding/child protection procedures.
- Able to self-manage, adaptable and embrace new ways of dealing with things.
- Be flexible and prepared to help in other areas of the nursery, with domestic duties, or duties which may be reasonably required of you, as identified by the Nursery Manager.